|pod with texture in progress|
This week's major project was a mental break from more thoughtful sculpting. This project is about a year delayed, since my Aunt asked me to start on it last summer. I'm making these textured, and eventually colorful pod sculptures for her.
|textureless pod form|
The pod sculptures are wheel thrown, then altered with five or six spines down their length. They have a hole on the bottom for a rod so they can be "planted" in a very large vase.
|sketches from last year for this project|
The sketches are from last year and though the sketches show mostly just striped texture down the I always knew I was planning on more texture between the ridges.
|sprig texture with plain (incomplete) background|
After I added the ridges and smoothed them in place, I pressed clay into a sprig mold (over and over again) and attached the sprigs in between the ridges.
time-lapse video of placing sprigs
This particular sprig (see the link for a definition/demo of sprigs) was made from a plastic food toy. I have since had my daughter do some research and we discovered that the toy was a pineapple.
At first we thought the sprig came from peas, but upon closer inspection, the pineapple looks like a closer fit.
On the first pod, I attached the largest version of the sprig or an almost round smaller version, but on the second sculpture, I accidentally ended up with some single round sections. I added them in between the larger forms and liked the more varied sizes that resulted.
|close up of pineapple sprigs of various sizes|
After the accidental discovery, I started pressing more varied shapes from the one sprig mold.
|sprigs waiting to be attached|
I was happy with the resulting forms, but I have a difficult time saying no to texture, so I tried out a new ball stylus tool and then went overboard.
time-lapse of ball stylus texture application
I recently saw a call for an upcoming exhibition called "Pour it On." After I started using the ball stylus to overdo the background texture on the pineapple pod, I thought of this call and how my abstract sculpture usually ends up fitting into the overall category of "pouring on" the texture and color.
|bottom end of the pod|
I spent several days on the surfaces of the pods, though the forms took very little time. I textured the lower end opening with the ball stylus, but wanted to change the texture on the top end.
|top end of pod, partially textured|
I left a hole in the middle of the top because I am thinking about having the support rod go all the way through the center of the form.
I took this video with my phone. It should be horizontal, but I don't know how to change the orientation!
I took several time-lapse videos of my process. It was tricky to get a video of the needle tool texturing because both times, though I held the camera horizontal, the video ended up vertical. It's also tough to hold the camera and use the needle tool at the same time.
|three pods complete|
I've finished four of the pods, but I think I want to make at least five. I'm hoping to get these in a bisque kiln early next week and throw the last couple forms next week too.
|three pods complete|