Sunday, February 1, 2015

"Mechanical Botanicals" opens this week

The view in my side of the gallery

I set up my show in Seattle this weekend. "Mechanical Botanicals" opens (officially) on Wednesday, February 4, 2015. The First Thursday Pioneer Square Art Walk is Thursday night from 6-9pm. I will be there for the Thursday evening event and I will be in the gallery from 12-6pm on Saturday. The Gallery is open Wednesdays through Saturdays from 12-6pm. 

the view in the door of CORE Gallery

This is my first show at CORE Gallery (117 Prefontaine Place South in Seattle for those of you entering it into your GPS). This was a nice space in which to install. The gallery has bright lights, a locking door and plenty of space. Often I've installed shows only when the gallery director or staff is present. It was nice to install without a time limit, and without someone watching or waiting for me to make a decision.

drilling holes for the first wall installation

I brought over a lot of work. Last week I brought some stuff in one vehicle. This weekend I filled a second car with my work and loaded extra borrowed pedestals into the truck bed. On Saturday my husband helped me drill holes and install hooks for my 100 piece wall installation. When they brought my second car load, my daughter and her grandparents helped hang most of the bulbs on the hooks.

the gridded wall installation

We unloaded all the work on Saturday, arranged pedestals, installed the grid of bulbs on the wall and put up the vinyl signs on the window and wall. I picked up the signs on Saturday morning from Sun Signs in Tukwila. They were great. The guy came in on Saturday just for me and was so fast that I was out of there just minutes after we'd arranged to meet.

preparing to put up my window sign

I thought putting up the signs was neat. They go on, as my daughter said, like a temporary tattoo. But mostly I just thought it was fun to have my name on the window (and wall) of the gallery. It makes the show feel very official.

second wall installation

On Sunday I planned to come in, double check the set up, perhaps install a second wall installation, and adjust the lights. I ended up rearranging the pedestals three times before I was satisfied. I did install the second wall piece, but I called in my husband to adjust the lights. Apparently he is capable of standing on a ladder with his hands above his head without breaking out in a cold sweat.

partial view in the gallery

I swept up the gallery, removed my boxes and packing materials, emptied the weekend's trash, and left Seattle during the first quarter of the super bowl. The pass was eerily deserted on our way home. I'll be heading back on Thursday, but I don't think I can hope for any highway clearing distractions to assist with that drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about my work or this post